Slice and Bake Shortbread
These Slice and Bake Shortbread are a delicious Christmas cookie! This is an ideal recipe for last minute cookie baking…bake half the batch now, and bake the other half later.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 tbsp icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- red and green glazed cherries (chopped into small pieces)
- I also used some crushed candy canes for some cookies
Making the Shortbread Cookie Dough:
- Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in the flour.
- Once everything is mixed together, using your hands gather the dough into 1 large ball.
- Then split the ball into 2 pieces.
- Make 2 rolls/logs that are about 1 1/2 inches wide in diameter (refer to pictures).
Baking, Storing & Freezing Options:
- Bake: At this point you can slice the dough into 1/4 inch pieces and bake the cookies. See below for instructions.
- BUT the cookies come out more round in shape if the dough has a chance to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Chill: If you wish to let the dough chill, roll each log in a piece of parchment paper (refer to pictures), and put them in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or even up to 3 days if you want fresh cookies later in the week!
- Freeze: At this point you can also freeze the dough logs and bake the cookies later. Wrap the parchment paper rolled dough in some plastic wrap, or put them in a ziplock bag, and freeze. Then when you are ready to bake the cookies, take the dough out of the freezer and bring it to just slightly cooler than room temperature before baking.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice the dough logs into 1/4 inch slices.
- Line the cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle each cookie with about 1 tsp of glazed cherries.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden along the bottom edges.
- Cool, then enjoy!
Keywords: icebox cookies, shortbread cookies, slice and bake shortbread