This Rhubarb Pudding Cake is a delicious sweet and tart dessert! It’s great way to use up extra rhubarb. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
- 3 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In saucepan, add the chopped rhubarb and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes. The mixture is done when the rhubarb is tender. There should also be some syrupy juice in the pan.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cream together the butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the egg and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together the milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix, alternating with the vanilla milk.
- Mix well.
- Pour the batter into an 8 or 9 inch baking dish.
- Then pour the somewhat cooled rhubarb mixture over the cake batter.
- Optional: If you like sprinkle the top with a cinnamon/sugar mix before baking.
- Bake for 40 minutes. When the cake is done, a toothpick inserted into the centre will come out clean.
- Let cool.
- You can serve this dessert warm with vanilla ice cream!