These Rhubarb Dream Bars are truly a dream! With a shortbread cookie crust, a rhubarb custard pie-like filling and a delightful meringue top that melts in your mouth, these bars will be a new favourite!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the shortbread crust I use a food processor. Pulse the flour, sugar and butter together until the mixture is like sand, this should only take about 30 seconds.
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper, then press the crust mixture into the pan. Don’t press it too hard.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking you can make the rhubarb filling.
- Chop your fresh rhubarb into 1/2 inch chunks. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, whip the eggs until they are smooth.
- Add the sugar and continue mixing until the mixture starts to become fluffy.
- Add the flour and salt, mix until the mixture is smooth and fluffy, almost like a meringue, but not as foamy.
- Stir in the chopped rhubarb.
- As soon as the crust is done baking, remove it from the oven and add the rhubarb mixture to the top of it. Smooth it out.
- Return to the oven and continue baking for 40 – 45 minutes, or until the top of the dream bars are golden brown.
- Once the bars are done baking, remove them from the oven and let them rest in the pan for at least 1 hour before cutting into it.
- After the bars have had time to cool, cut into 16 pieces. Enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: rhubarb, dream bars