These Rhubarb Dream Bars are truly a dream! With a shortbread cookie crust, a rhubarb custard pie-like filling and a delightful meringue top that melts in your mouth, these bars will be a new favourite! A delicious way to use your fresh rhubarb!
Rhubarb in everything!
I can never get enough rhubarb…rhubarb season is my favourite. Every spring when rhubarb is abundant, I cook and bake with it much as I can, thankfully my family loves rhubarb too! Rhubarb is great in crisp, pie, jam, cake, muffins, pudding cake, and dream bars! Have you every had a rhubarb dream bar? You must. You really really must.
One of our MOST favourite rhubarb desserts!
These Rhubarb Dream Bars are definitely at the top of my family’s most favourite rhubarb recipes. I don’t know if it’s the buttery shortbread cookie crust, or the custard like filling with tangy rhubarb, or the melt-in-your-mouth meringue top crust. (You can also think of them as rhubarb custard bars with meringue.) SERIOUSLY. They really really are as delicious as they sound.
These are SO easy to make.
And you will be amazed at how easy these bars are to make. The ingredients are simple, the assembly is simple and you can have them ready and in the oven in about 15 minutes! You’ll be left wondering how something so delicious can be so easy!
A perfect summer dessert that everyone will love! Take it to potlucks and picnics or serve it for dessert at your next backyard barbecue. You, and your dessert, will be a hit!
Rhubarb Dream Bars Recipe Tips:
- Rhubarb: Use fresh rhubarb for this recipe…frozen rhubarb tends to be dry.
- Mixing the crust ingredients: I use a food processor to make the crust. It’s so easy to make a crust this way! But you can also use a pastry blender.
- Baking Dish: Use an 8 x 8 baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Wait before you cut! Make sure to wait at least an hour before you cut into squares. It needs time to cool and set, and if it’s cut too soon, you will just end up with a syrupy mess.
- Don’t worry about the top crust cracking when you cut into it…it’s supposed to, as it’s a meringue. Rustic just means perfectly imperfectly delicious. And you’ll forget about it all once you bit into a bar…trust me. Use sharp knife to help keep cracking at a minimum.
- Leftovers: Store any leftovers on your counter, covered in parchment paper. If you put them into a container, they will get very soft! The best thing is to try to enjoy them as quickly as you can, which I promise will be an easy thing to do.
- Can I freeze this? No, I don’t recommend freezing these bars.
- Serving: These bars are delicious served just the way they are. But they’re also delicious with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
PIN IT to make later!
I hope you enjoy these rhubarb bars as much as we do! Have a delicious day!