These Rhubarb Dream Bars are truly a dream! With a shortbread cookie crust, a rhubarb custard pie-like filling and a delightful meringue top that melts in your mouth, these bars will be a new favourite! A delicious way to use your fresh rhubarb!
I can never get enough rhubarb. Every spring when rhubarb is abundant, I cook and bake with it much as I can, thankfully my family loves rhubarb too! Rhubarb is great in crisp, pie, jam, cake, muffins, pudding cake, and dream bars! Have you every had a rhubarb dream bar? You must. You really really must.
These bars are definitely at the top of my family’s most favourite rhubarb recipes. I don’t know if it’s the buttery shortbread cookie crust, or the custard like filling with tangy rhubarb, or the melt-in-your-mouth meringue top crust. SERIOUSLY. They really really are as delicious as they sound.
And you will be amazed at how easy these bars are to make. The ingredients are simple, the assembly is simple and you can have them ready and in the oven in about 15 minutes! You’ll be left wondering how something so delicious can be so easy!
A perfect summer dessert that everyone will love! Take it to potlucks and picnics or serve it for dessert at your next backyard barbecue. You, and your dessert, will be a hit!
Rhubarb Dream Bar Recipe Tips:
- I use a food processor to make the crust. It’s so easy to make a crust this way!
- Use fresh rhubarb for this recipe…frozen rhubarb tends to be dry.
- Make sure to wait at least an hour before you cut into squares. It needs time to cool and set, and if it’s cut too soon, you will just end up with a syrupy mess.
- Don’t worry about the top crust cracking when you cut into it…it’s supposed to, as it’s a meringue. Rustic just means perfectly imperfectly delicious. And you’ll forget about it all once you bit into a bar…trust me.
- Store any leftovers on your counter, covered in parchment paper. If you put them into a container, they will get very soft! The best thing is to try to enjoy them as quickly as you can, which I promise will be an easy thing to do.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
More delicious rhubarb recipes to try!
Have a delicious day!