This Rhubarb Coffee Cake is a simple and delicious recipe! A light vanilla cake, with cinnamon streusel and a sweet and tangy layer of rhubarb. You can use fresh or frozen rhubarb in this cake. So good.
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Cinnamon Sugar Mix:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan. You can either rub it with butter, line it with parchment paper or use a flour spray (this is what I do). Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the chopped fresh rhubarb and sugar. Mix well. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes, stirring a few times. (if you are using frozen rhubarb, refer to the instructions above)
- Using a mixer cream together the butter and sugar.
- Then mix in the eggs.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- In separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Then combine the butter mixture with the flour mixture to make the batter.
- In a separate small bowl, make the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Spread half of the batter in an 9 x 13 prepared baking pan.
- Layer the rhubarb mixture evenly over the batter.
- Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Add the remaining batter. Recipe Tip! The batter is a bit difficult to spread at this point, so I put dollops of it all around the pan and smooth it out as best I can. It’s ok if it picks up pieces of rhubarb as you spread it. See the picture above that shows you how I add the batter in dollops.
- Sprinkle on the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Category: Baking
Keywords: cake, coffee cake, rhubarb cake