This Raisin Oatmeal Sheet Cake is a family favourite. It’s moist, cinnamon-y and oat-y. Great as a breakfast or snack cake.
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp milk or cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
Making the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×9 baking pan, by lightly oiling it or lining it with parchment paper.
- Add the oats to the hot water, and let sit for at least 5 minutes. Set aside.
- With a mixer cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, mixing them in one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine.
- Stir in the oats.
- Then add the raisins.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tin and bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Making the topping:
- When the cake is 5 minutes from being done, you can make the topping.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add the cream, sugar and coconut. Combine and remove from heat.
- Once the cake is done baking, spread the topping on the cake, then put the cake under broil in your oven for about one minute. Just enough to lightly toast the coconut.