Pesto Chicken with Fresh Tomato Pasta
This Easy Grilled Pesto Chicken with Fresh Tomato Pasta is a simple and delicious dinner idea. Fresh and flavourful.
- Author: Jo-Anna Rooney
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Marinating Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Barbecue
Homemade Pesto (makes about 1 cup):
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- a few grinds of fresh ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup basil pesto sauce (see tips)
Fresh Tomato Pasta:
- 1 lb of your favourite pasta (dried pasta)
- 2 cups fresh grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 (200 g) container mini bocconcini cheese
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Using a food processor, blend together the basil, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese and pepper until it is a rough paste.
- Then while the processor is running, slowly pour in the olive oil (through the tube at the top), until combined. The pesto should be a semi-thick paste.
- If the pesto is too dry, just add more olive oil.
- Combine 1/2 cup pesto with the chicken breasts, making sure to mix and massage well. You can even poke the chicken with a fork so the pesto gets inside. If you feel like there’s not enough pesto, add more.
- Let the chicken marinate in the pesto for at least 1 hour for maximum flavour (the longer you leave it, the more flavourful the chicken will be). You can even let it rest in the fridge overnight (just cover and store – see tips).
Grilling the chicken:
- When you’re ready to grill, on a medium-high heat grill, add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and grill for another 5 minutes. Turn again and finish on the grill for another 5 – 7 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside (the internal temperature should be 165 degrees F).
Making the Fresh Tomato Pasta:
- While the chicken is grilling, you can start the pasta.
- In a large pot of heavily salted water, boil the pasta according to package directions, until it is tender.
- Drain well and toss the pasta with the pesto.
- Then add the tomatoes, bocconcini cheese and fresh basil.
- Season with fresh ground pepper.
- Serve with the grilled pesto chicken and enjoy!
- Tip: On your table, you can offer parmesan cheese, more fresh basil and extra pesto to add to individual plates if that’s what everyone likes!
Keywords: pesto chicken, grilled pesto chicken