This recipe is from 125 Best Chicken Recipes by Rose Murray, published by www.robertrose.ca.
- 4 in bone (skin on chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce (I like homemade)
Fresh Tomato Pasta:
- 4 cups of fusili pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 cup red onion (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt & pepper
Grilling the chicken:
- Gently poke your fingers under the skin of each chicken breast, and lift the skin slightly. Gently stuff about 2 tbsp of the pesto under the skin, and massage it to even it out.
- Starting with the pesto side up, grill the chicken for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and grill for another 5 minutes. Turn again and finish on the grill with the pesto side up for another 5 – 7 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
Making the Fresh Tomato Pasta:
- In a large pot boil your pasta until it is tender but firm.
- Drain well and toss with the 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Toss the pasta with the chopped tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar and salt & pepper.
- Serve with the BBQ pesto chicken and enjoy!
The chicken can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead of time. Just cover and refrigerate, then remove and bring to room temperature for about 30 minutes before you BBQ.