A rich and delicious recipe for Pecan Pie. Made with a tender flaky pie crust. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Pie Crust (This recipe makes 2 crusts.)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
Pecan Pie Filling
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 heavy cream
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves (toasted, cooled and chopped coarsely)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift flour, salt and sugar into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. Then split into 2. It is okay if it’s crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
- Lay out a piece of wax or parchment paper, lightly sprinkle it with flour, then roll out one of the crusts for the bottom of the pie. Then press the crust into a 9 inch pie plate. You can use the other crust for another pie, or freeze it for later.
- Place a piece of tin foil over your crust and fill it with dried beans or rice or pie weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- After this time, remove the foil and weights.
- Then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake the crust for 5 -7 minutes more, or until the edges are dry and golden.
- Set the crust aside to cool on a rack, then make the pecan filling.
- At this time, also reduce the oven to 325 degrees.
Pecan Pie Filling
- Toast the pecans for about 5 minutes, or until they are aromatic. Set aside to cool.
- Once the pecans are cool, chop them coarsely. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks and vanilla.
- In a saucepan combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup, cream and salt.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, and stir until the butter is melted and everything is combined, but do not boil the mixture. Stir for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Then, whisking very vigorously and constantly, slowly pour the hot mixture into the egg mixture. Whisk whisk whisk. (This is to ensure that the eggs don’t cook.)
- Set aside.
- Add the pecans to the pie shell, spreading them out evenly.
- Slowly pour the sugar mixture over the pecans.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet, then bake it in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until the centre of the pie isn’t jiggly.
- Let cool before serving…it’s best left to rest for at least 1 hour. More time is better.
Keywords: pecan pie