Overnight Vanilla Bean Apple French Toast
Make this Overnight Vanilla Bean Apple French Toast the night before, and pop it in the oven to enjoy in the morning! Full of delicious apple and vanilla flavours.
- Author: Jo-Anna Rooney
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- Yield: 6 - 8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 5 cups cubes Challah bread
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 2 apples (peeled cored and cut into small cubes)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- seeds from 1/2 of 1 vanilla bean (optional)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
Apples and Milk Mixture Instructions:
- Prepare a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. I like to rub mine lightly with butter. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tbsp of butter, then add the chopped apples.
- Saute for about 3 – 4 minutes, until the apples are soft but not browned.
- Stir in the cinnamon and cook for about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, vanilla and melted butter.
Putting it all together:
- To the prepared baking dish add the bread cubes, then the sauteed apples, making sure to scrape out all the delicious sugary cinnamon mix.
- Stir in the chunks of cream cheese and raisins if you’re using them.
- Then pour the milk mixture over the bread and apples, and gently stir to ensure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed, and the bread is covered in the milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- At this point you can put the dish in the fridge overnight. Just cover it with tin foil.
- If you want to bake it right away, let the dish sit for about 10 minutes so that the bread has a chance to absorb the milk/egg mixture.
- When it’s time to bake, set the oven to 350 degrees, and bake the toast uncovered for about 1 hour, or until the pudding is puffed and firm in the centre.
Caramel Sauce: (optional)
- While the french toast is baking, you can make the caramel sauce that you will drizzle all over this delicious dish.
- In a sauce pan melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and cream.
- Stir over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: bread pudding, french toast bake