- 1 pieces chicken carcass (broken into)
- 2 medium onions coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- leaves Optional spices: sometimes I add fresh sprigs of rosemary (fresh parsley, celery)
- In a stock pot, cover the chicken pieces completely with water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, add the chopped vegetables and spices.
- Simmer uncovered for about 3 hours, adding water as needed.
- After 3 hours, strain the broth. I throw out all the chunks. (I used to try to save everything for my soup, but there are too many small bones.)
- Now you have stock for many delicious dishes!
Please note, that stocks typically are unsalted. So when you are making your soup, you will have to be sure to salt it!