A home made tomato and meat sauce that you can have on your table in under an hour!
- 1 to 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce (plain, no spices)
- 1 – 19 oz can diced tomatoes (plain, no spices)
- 1 – 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine (or beef broth if you don’t want to use wine)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, brown the beef with the onions and garlic. When the beef is cooked through, drain it, then return to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, oregano, basil and salt & pepper.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, covered.
For extra nutrition you can add any chopped up vegetable to the sauce that you like: bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms. Just fry them up first in a frying pan until they’re cooked yet still crisp. Then add them to the sauce and cook as directed. Or you can add pureed yam or pumpkin.
If you don’t want to use ground beef, any ground meat works well in this recipe (especially ground chicken or turkey).