This Hearty Fish Chowder is a quick and easy soup you can serve up any night of the week in under an hour! Serve it up with a salad and crusty bread!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken stock (I like to use homemade)
- 1 1/4 cups light cream or whole milk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1 cups can corn (or 11/2 frozen corn niblets)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded cooked fish (I used salmon and halibut) (see recipe tips)
- In a skillet melt the butter, then add the onion, potato, bay leaf and paprika. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft but not browned.
- Add the flour, mix well, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Then whisk in the chicken stock and milk. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes, making sure to stir often.
- After this time, add the wine, hot sauce, corn and fish. Simmer until everything is warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and remove the soup from the heat.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Soup
Keywords: fish chowder