These Ginger Spice Molasses Cookies are soft, spicy and really delicious!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 eggs
- 4 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup molasses
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating the flour mix with the molasses and milk.
- Separate the dough into 2 large balls – this just makes rolling out the dough easier and more manageable.
- Lay one ball of dough on a sheet of parchment paper and flatten it slightly. Then put another piece of parchment paper on top and roll the dough with a rolling pin, keeping the dough thick (up to 1 cm).
- Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Refrigerate the rolled out dough for at least 15 minutes. This makes cutting the dough with cookie cutters much easier.
If you are using a cookie stamp:
- After the cookie dough has chilled cut the cookies into circle shapes the same size as the stamp you are using. (I used a drinking glass to make these shapes).
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes then remove them from the oven and quickly and gently press the cookie stamp onto each of the cookies.
- Return the cookies to the oven and bake for 3 more minutes.
If you are using regular cookie cutters and no cookie stamp:
- After the dough has chilled cut it out with your favourite shapes.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
– If you like soft, chewy cookies bake for 8 minutes. For crispier cookies bake for 10 minutes.
– These freeze very nicely!