A hearty and healthy recipe for Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken Stew, with all the delicious Mexican flavours everyone loves!
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 – 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tsp pureed chipotle pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- Place chicken in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat, then add onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, pepper and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, brown sugar and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the chicken, turning the chicken to coat. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (Until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced.)
- Stir in the red pepper, corn, cilantro and 1 tsp of the chipotle pepper and lime juice. Then cook on high for about 20 minutes (until the red pepper is tender).
- Method: Slow Cooker