Make this Easy Slow Cooker / Crockpot Borscht for dinner tonight! This soup is loaded with healthy vegetables. Add a dollop of sour cream and some fresh dill and you have yourself a delicious meal!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1 – 28 oz can chopped tomatoes with the juice
- 5 medium beets, peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock (beef stock works nice too)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- sour cream
- finely chopped fresh dill
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions, celery and carrots, and cook, stirring often, until softened. About 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and peppercorns and cook for about 1 minute.
- Transfer the carrot/onion/celery mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add and stir in the tomatoes and juices, beets, potato and stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- After this time add the vinegar, and cabbage, mix well and cook on high for 20 – 30 minutes more.
Option: A Smooth or Chunky Borscht:
- Option #1: Once the borscht is done cooking you can serve it as is. The soup base will be clear and the vegetables chunky.
- Option #2: If you prefer a more smooth borscht you can puree the entire soup.
- Option #3 (my favourite): Scoop out half of the cooked vegetables, and puree the remaining vegetables and broth. Then add back the scoop of vegetables.