This Easy 5-Ingredient Christmas Crack Recipe is a holiday favourite! It’s sweet, salty, caramel-y and so chocolate-y.
- 36 – 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with a sheet of tin foil, making sure to wrap it up over the edges of the pan (see images above).
- Spray the tin foil with a light dusting of cooking spray.
- Line the saltine crackers on the sheet, in one even layer.
- In a saucepan on low-medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- While continuously stirring, bring the sugar mixture to a low boil and simmer for about 3 minutes, then remove it from the heat. Note: the sugar should be dissolved.
- Stir in the vanilla. Make sure this mixture is well blended.
- Pour the caramel mixture all over the crackers. You will need a spatula to spread it evenly over the crackers (see images above).
- Place the caramel covered crackers in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the caramel rest for 1 minutes.
- Then sprinkle the chocolate chips over the caramel layer. Let them sit for about 1 minute.
- Then using a spatula, smooth the chocolate over the caramel layer. Go slow, and use long strokes with your spatula. If you spread the chocolate too fast the caramel layer will mix in with the chocolate. And make sure to spread the chocolate as close to the outer edges of the crackers as possible.
- Let cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes, then cover with a sheet of tin foil tented over the pan…you don’t want the tin foil to touch the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for several hours, but overnight is best.
- Once the Christmas crack has hardened, break off pieces and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: Christmas Crack, Christmas cracker toffee