This DIY Giant Evergreen Christmas Wreath is the perfect holiday statement for your front door! Made with faux and fresh evergreen sprigs, red holly berries and Buffalo plaid ribbon!
- 1 large grapevine wreath base: I bought the biggest one I could find at Michaels…but still small enough that it will fit on my door.
- evergreen sprigs: fresh and/or faux evergreen sprigs (or both like I used). I used sprigs of fir, cedar and pine.
- 4 large faux evergreen sprigs
- 2 large faux flocked evergreen sprigs that I cut into pieces to stuff into the wreath
- ~ 10 fresh cedar sprigs
- ~ 8 fresh pine sprigs
- ~ 10 – 12 small fresh evergreen sprigs for filling gaps
- sprigs of berries: 1 sprig of large faux red berries (I just snipped them off to stuff in)
- pine cones, about 4
- ribbon, I used a cloth Buffalo Check ribbon
- green floral wire or twine for securing the evergreen sprigs
- Hang the grapevine wreath base on a wreath hanger on a door inside. This to be the easiest way to assemble a wreath, because you can see what you are doing.
- I start with 2 large faux evergreen sprigs as the base, and stuffed each one into the bottom of the wreath base…one on each side for balance, with the stem towards the bottom of the wreath, and the evergreen fanning upward. I used a little bit of floral wire to secure them. (I used faux sprigs as the base because I want to be able to only switch out small fresh pieces over the season as they dry out, while the faux ones remain ‘fresh’ in appearance)
- Then I stuffed in 2 pieces of the faux flocked stems.
- Then I stuffed in more pieces of the faux evergreen stems above the faux ones.
- Then I tucked in the fresh cedar, pine and evergreen sprigs at random, securing with wire as needed. Basically, what I do to one side of the wreath, I do to the other, for balance.
- Then I tucked in the berries and acorns. Securing with wire as needed.
- Step back, have a look and see if both sides mirror each other, and add and adjust as needed.
- Wrap the ribbon on the base of the wreath, leaving ribbon trailing down.
Keywords: evergreen wreath, Christmas wreath, giant wreath, grapevine wreath