- 1 1/3 cups chopped pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan mix together the chopped dates, water and baking soda. Then over low-medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, then add the tablespoon of butter. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the dates are soft and mushy. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Using a mixer cream together the egg, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Once the date mixture is cooled, add it to the egg mixture and combine.
- Stir in the flour mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool, then serve and enjoy!
- Category: Baking
Keywords: date loaf