This Creamed Turkey on Toast Recipe is a great way to create a new and delicious meal with your holiday leftovers!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 – 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups stock (turkey, chicken or vegetable)
- 2 cups whole milk (or half and half)
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- bread for toast
- In a skillet on low/medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the diced onions, carrots and celery. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- When the onions, celery and carrots are soft, stir in the salt, dry mustard, and thyme.
- Add the flour, mix well, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Then add the stock and milk, and bring the mixture to a low boil, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the turkey and let the mixture simmer for about 5 more minutes, until the turkey is warmed through.
- Add the frozen peas. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve over warm toast.
Keywords: creamed turkey, turkey leftovers