This Cranberry Orange Breakfast Cake is perfect for brunch or snacking! A tender vanilla cake with flavours of orange, and bites of tart cranberries. So delicious.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use a mixer to cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, and one at a time. Mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and orange zest. Mix well.
- To the butter mix, add 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- Gently stir the whole cranberries into the cake batter. Don’t use a mixer, just hand mix it with a spoon, being careful not to mash the cranberries.
- Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper, then press the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
Keywords: cranberry orange, cake, breakfast cake