- 3/4 cup barley
- 2 – 14 oz cans of coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean (halved and seeded)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp sugar
- zest and juice from 1 small lime
- handful dried cranberries or raisins
- half-and-half or pineapple juice
- grated coconut (toasted for serving)
- freshly grated nutmeg for serving
- Rinse raw barley in cold water. Place in a large saucepan and cover with 6 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain barley and return it to the saucepan.
- Stir in the coconut milk, vanilla seeds and bean, cinnamon stick, sugar, lime juice and cranberries or raisins.
- Bring to a simmer, cook covered on low until the barley is tender ad the milk has thickened, about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover during final 10 minutes of cook time and add half-and-half or pineapple juice if pudding becomes dry.
- Remove vanilla bean and cinnamon stick.
- Garnish with lime zest, toasted grated coconut, and nutmeg.