Make this Classic Meatloaf for dinner and serve it with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable. A hearty and delicious supper!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oats
- salt & pepper
Sauce (See Notes)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 – 1 cup brown sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Make your sauce first by combining all the ingredients and mixing well. I use a hand blender to do this. Set aside.
- Combine beef, onion, milk, egg, oats, salt & pepper.
- Press the meat mixture down into a loaf pan, then make a well down the centre of the loaf. To do this, just run a table knife lengthwise down the centre of the loaf, making about a 1/4 x 1/4 inch indent.
- Pour about 1/2 of the sauce into the well, and coating the top of the loaf a bit. Save the other half of the sauce for when you serve the meatloaf.
- At this point, you can put the meatloaf into the fridge until you are ready to bake it that evening.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Drain. And put onto a serving plate.
- Drizzle on the remaining sauce when serving the meatloaf.
This recipe makes a lot of sauce, so use half for the baking, and half for serving with the finished meatloaf.