Christmas Morning Wife Saver
Christmas Morning Wife Saver is a cheesy egg and ham overnight breakfast casserole that is perfect for Christmas morning!
- Author: Jo-Anna Rooney
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Refrigeration Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 9 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: oven
- 16 slices white bread, with the crusts removed
- 16 slices Canadian back bacon or deli sliced ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is most flavourful)
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green or red pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- dash Tabasco
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- crushed corn flakes cereal
- Prepare a 9×13 glass baking dish by greasing the inside lightly with butter.
- Lay out 8 slices of bread.
- Layer the ham over the bread, making sure to cover it.
- Sprinkle on all of the shredded cheese.
- Lay the remaining 8 slices of bread over the cheese.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth.
- Add the pepper, dry mustard, minced onion, chopped peppers, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. Mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the layered bread/ham/cheese.
- Cover with tin foil and let rest overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the 1/2 cup of butter then pour it over the wife saver.
- Top with crushed corn flakes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour (until the top is not jiggly).
- You might want to place a baking sheet on a rack under the wife saver as sometimes it can bubble over.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: wife saver, breakfast casserole