This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is a tender and super chocolatey cake! Perfect for dessert and birthday cakes!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated (unpeeled zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini) ** See notes **)
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (divided)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare 2 loaf pans. I use parchment paper to line them.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, combine the sugar, butter and vegetable oil.
- Then add the eggs, mixing well.
- In a separate measuring cup combine the buttermilk and vanilla.
- To the butter mixture, add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk (3 additions of each). Combine.
- Add the zucchini. Combine.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the 2 loaf pans. Sprinkle 1/4 cup chocolate chips on to the tops of each loaf.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake, comes out clean.
If you find the grated zucchini is really juicy, lightly squeeze out some of the moisture before adding the zucchini to the batter.