- 1 cup butter (not margarine), at room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond flavouring
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup candied cherries, chopped up
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- wax paper
- 1 cup of shredded coconut (set aside – do not mix into dough)
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and almond flavouring. Mix well.
- Add the flour, cherries and chopped almonds. Combine, and work into a dough.
- Split the batter into 2 or 3 batches, and work each batch into a roll 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Roll each roll of dough in the 1 cup of shredded coconut, to coat the outside.
- Wrap/roll in wax paper, tie up the ends, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Overnight is best.
- When you are ready to bake them, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the cookies a generous 1/4 inch thick and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
If you want your cookies extra pink, add a teaspoon or two of the liquid from maraschino cherries, or a couple drops of red food colouring.