- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (divided into 1/2 cup and 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 inches sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed (12x12 ) (maybe even 1 1/2 sheets – see Tips!))
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- extra sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- In a sauce pan, add 1/2 cup blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest. Mash blueberries then bring the mixture to a boil over low heat. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and add the butter and 1 1/2 cups blueberries. Stir.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your pastry sheet. Cut it into 6 even squares, as shown above. OR if you are using 1/2 sheet more dough, make 9 squares (see Tips!).
- Spoon out the blueberry mixture into the centres of the pastry squares. Then fold the dough in half and press the edges to seal them.
- In a bowl beat together the egg and 1 tbsp water.
- Brush the sealed pastries with the egg mixture. Then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake them on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 15 minutes – watch them after about 12 minutes to make sure they don’t burn. They should be golden brown when done.
- Serve at room temperature.