This Blueberry Pie is the perfect summer dessert! Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
Blueberry Pie Filling:
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 sugar
- 4 – 5 tbsp cornstarch
- sprinkle of salt
Making the Blueberry Filling:
- In a bowl combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
Making the Pie Crust:
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
- Separate the ball into 2 balls: one for the bottom crust and one for the top.
Baking the pie:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Put one rolled out section of crust into your pie plate. Gently press down.
- Add the blueberry filling.
- Dot the filling with small pieces of the butter (about 1 – 2 tsp total).
- For a simple lattice top, roll out the dough into 10 inch square and using a pizza cutter cut out 14 – 16 long strips about 1/2 inch wide. Then arrange them in a crisscross pattern.
- Press together the edges of the crust. Then trim off the extra dough.
- Brush the crust lightly with water or milk, then generously sprinkle the crust with a cinnamon & sugar mix.
- In your preheated 425 degree oven, bake your pie for 20 minutes.
- Then after this time slip a cookie sheet onto the rack below your pie, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for 25-35 minutes more. Bake until the crust is golden brown and your filling is bubbling in the vents.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes