Made with fresh summer blueberries and a tender flakey crust, these Blueberry Hand Pies are the perfect summer treat! Double the recipe if you’re serving a crowd!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest from 1 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Blueberry Pie Filling:
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- juice from half a lemon
The Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- sprinkle of sugar
Making the Pastry:
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and lemon zest.
- Add the butter in chunks, then using a pastry cutter (or your hands) cut the butter into the dry ingredients to form small, pea-sized clumps.
- Then add the sour cream and bring the mixture together by hand, to form a ball of dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface, then roll it out into a rectangular shape.
- Fold the dough over onto itself in thirds, rotate by 90 degrees and roll out into a rectangular shape again.
- Repeat these steps two additional times.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Making the Blueberry Pie Filling:
- Place the blueberries into a saucepan over low-medium heat and simmer until the berries release their juices. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the sugar and cornstarch, until it is thoroughly combined. Mixing these 2 ingredients well will ensure that the cornstarch does not clump.
- Stir the sugar/cornstarch mix into the blueberries while you continuously stir. Simmer the mixture until the filling has thickened. This won’t take very long at all…about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well.
- Remove the filling from the heat and let cool.
The Egg Wash:
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk. Set aside.
Putting the Pies Together:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Assembling the hand pies: On a floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a rectangular shape, to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a 2- or 3-inch cookie cutter, cut uniform circular shapes into the pie dough.
- Place 6 – 8 circle cut outs onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Gather the remaining dough, roll it out and repeat until it has all been used. (you need a total of either 12 or 16 circles)
- Now add a dollop of filling (about 1 to 2 tablespoons depending on the size of the circle) onto the centre of each circle (see the picture above).
- Brush the edge of the dough with the egg wash, then place a second circle of dough on top, pressing the edges firmly together.
- Crimp the edge using a fork. (see the pictures above for reference)
- Repeat process until all of the hand pies have been filled.
- Cut small slits for vents into the top of each pie using a sharp knife. (refer the image above to see how I cut 4 small slits into the tops)
- Brush the top and edges of the pies with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the pies for 18 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: Pie
Keywords: hand pies, blueberry pie, blueberry hand pies