This truly is the Best Christmas Ham Recipe! A most tender ham is the result from baking in a delicious honey-brown sugar-butter-and-orange juice glaze…divine! And perfect for the holidays.
- 1 – 10 to 12 lb bone-in ham
- 1/2 cup water or ginger ale
HONEY HAM GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
BAKING THE HAM:
- Place the bone-in ham in a roasting pan.
- Using a sharp knife, score the the top of the ham diagonally, with the lines about 1 inch apart. Don’t score too deep, the lines should only be a at the most about 1/4 inch deep. (See the pictures above)
- Add about 1/2 cup water or ginger ale to the bottom of the pan. I use ginger ale because I really like the extra bit of sweetness it adds.
- Cover the ham with tin foil and bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- While it’s baking you can make the glaze to add later.
MAKING THE GLAZE:
- In a saucepan over low-medium heat, melt the butter. Then stir in the brown sugar, honey, mustard, and orange juice. Cook until the sugar dissolves, stirring often. Don’t let the mixture boil, you only want to gently dissolve the sugar.
- When the glaze is done it should be slightly thick. As it cools it will thicken more as well.
ADDING THE GLAZE:
- After the 1 1/2 hours, take the ham out of the oven, and drizzle the glaze all over the top of the ham, and in all the crevices.
- Remove the tin foil, and continue baking for about 30 minutes more.
- When the ham is done baking, remove it from the oven and spoon the glaze all over the ham.
- Then let the ham rest under tin foil for about 15 minutes before carving.
Keywords: Christmas ham recipe, glazed ham, ham recipe, honey ham