This Banana Bread Pudding is the ultimate comfort food! Rich, creamy and full of delicious banana flavour. Serve with cream and homemade caramel sauce.
Banana Bread Mixture:
- 1 French loaf, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 – 4 tbsp walnut pieces (optional)
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
Banana Bread Pudding:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the french loaf into 1 inch cubes and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and dash of salt. I like to use a hand blender to make it nice and smooth.
- Stir in the mushed bananas. Mix well.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter, then add the chunks of bread.
- Sprinkle on the walnut pieces.
- Pour the milk/egg/banana mixture over the bread. Lightly shake the dish so everything settles.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until the pudding is puffed and firm in the centre.
- While the banana bread pudding is baking, make the caramel sauce.
- In a sauce pan melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and cream.
- Stir over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
Putting it all together:
- Serve the banana bread pudding warm or cold, and drizzle it with the warm caramel sauce.
You can make the bread pudding the night before you want to serve it, then just pop it in the oven first thing in the morning. The caramel sauce can be made ahead of time as well, just heat it up before serving.