- 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 – 140 g package of goat cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 8 slices of cooked bacon crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 artisan loaf of bread
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Chop fresh spinach so you end up with about 2 1/2 cups.
- Dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
- Then in a skillet, saute the spinach, onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook until the onions are soft, and there is no moisture from the spinach.
- Stir in the cooked and crumbled bacon, and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor (I use a hand blender), puree the goat cheese and sour cream together until smooth.
- Then add the goat cheese/sour cream mixture and chopped artichoke hearts to the spinach/bacon mix. Stir until well combined.
- Now it’s time to prepare your artisan loaf of bread (you can use a sour dough loaf or any kind of large loaf that you like, as long as you can remove the centre portion).
- Cut out the top of your loaf, cutting in about 1 1/2 inches deep, then peel off the top and remove the centre. You just want to create a pocket to put your dip, so make sure you don’t cut down too deep into the loaf, but deep enough that the dip won’t flow out of the bread.
- Save the bread you cut out for dipping. Just cut it into dipping sized chunks.
- Add the spinach mixture to the space in your bread bowl, then wrap your bread dip in tin foil, and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the mixture is bubbling.
- You can use the bread bowl as a dip, and serve it with extras chunks of fresh bread or baguettes for dipping. Or you can slice the whole bread bowl width wise and serve in strips.