This home made Bacon & Cheese Quiche is perfect for breakfast or dinner!
Pastry Crust (makes 2 bottom crusts – see notes):
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon (I also used 1/4 cup pancetta)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any kind you like – I used an Italian cheese blend)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in the shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
- Separate the ball into 2 balls: use one for the quiche, and freeze one for later.
- Roll out one ball of the dough to fit a 9 inch pie plate.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over dough in the plate, and fill with pie weights, or you can use dried lentils, rice or beans. See picture above
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Remove the parchment paper and weights and set aside.
- While the crust is baking, cook the bacon until it is hard enough to crumble.
- In a separate skillet, melt the butter over medium heat then add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Then add the cooked onion, bacon, and shredded cheese, and combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the partially baked crust and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the centre of quiche is set (it won’t jiggle if it’s fully cooked).
The recipe for the pie crusts makes 2 crusts, so use one for this quiche, and freeze the other for later!
- Method: Bake