This Apple Beet Slaw is a crunchy, flavourful and fresh salad! It’s delicious served alongside ribs and barbecued meats. A perfect summery side dish.
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 large fresh, raw beets
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2 cups chopped or sliced red cabbage (about 1/4 of a head of cabbage)
- 2 cups chopped or sliced green cabbage (about 1/4 of a head of cabbage)
- 1 lemon zest / lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Make the dressing first by mixing together the vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wash, peel, and grate the beets. I just use a regular cheese grater to do this.
- Cut the apples into matchsticks. You can also use a cheese grater, but the apple does tend to get a bit mushy when done this way.
- This recipe calls for about 2 cups each of chopped red cabbage and green cabbage. We like to make thin strips, but you can also make small chunks, it’s up to you.
- In a salad bowl toss together the beets, apples and cabbage.
- Then toss the salad with the dressing.
- Add the lemon zest and fresh lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
- Category: Salad
Keywords: beet salad, beet slaw, apple beet slaw